Operation Pushing for Points — Get 300 Points in 30 Days!

Army Fitness Test
Q.

Staff Sergeant Ken and Stephanie Weichert,
How can I get ready to pass the Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT)?

A.

This is the question that we most frequently receive. To excel at any military fitness test, you must train safely and intensely with the exercises that are in the test. While weight training is great for muscular strength development, it is a good example of what not to do while conditioning your body to perform better at the APFT, or any other fitness test that includes body resistance exercises.

We have had an overwhelming positive response to several parts of this program that we have released to the general public. Here is a comment from an actual participant that used our Push-​​up Improvement Plan 01 video on 1–800-GO-GUARD.com/fitness:

I’m shipping out for BCT in around four weeks and my pushups were my one worry. This has really helped me improve, and I’m feeling physically prepared. Thanks, SGT Ken.

Are you ready for the challenge?

HOOAH! Let’s get started!

SSG Ken and Stephanie Weichert

“In order for Guard Soldiers to effectively accomplish active-​​duty missions, we must train them as athletes all year round.” –SSG Ken Weichert

Calendar:

Week One

NOTE: Begin and end each workout with at least 5 minutes of warm-​​up exercises, followed by 5 minutes of stretching.

Monday

• Push-​​up Pulses
  • Full Sit-​​ups
Thursday
  • Running Interval Training
  • 8-​​Minute Abs
Friday
  • Physical Fitness Assessment (PFA)
Saturday and Sunday

• 8-​​Minute Abs
Friday
  • APFT Practice Test
Saturday and Sunday
  • Light Stretching and Rest

Diet advice for Operation Pushing for Points, Volume 2:

We encourage you to reduce the consumption of bread, dairy products and sugars. Want to read more diet advice? Go to Operation Diet Dissection. Be certain to check with your physician before making any changes to your diet or exercise plan.

Equipment Needed:

• None

Forms Needed:

• DA FORM 705

If you would like detailed instructions on any of the exercises mentioned in the 30-​​day calendar, download a free copy of Operation Pushing for Points. Use our APFT calculator to track your fitness test results.

Let us know how the program is working for you! Email us directly at sgtken@​gxonline.​com, or post your blog here.

HOOAH!

1. Eric says:

Maxing your PT test is not a 30 day process. It is a life style change toward practicing 3 fitness events. I did it with sports, aerobics, weights, and 5/​10k runs. I sought to perform during each PT session. I found a way to overcome injuries and sickness in maxing the test for 18 years.

2. Eric,

Hello. Thanks for your comments! Keep up the good work! HOOAH!

SSG Ken Weichert

3. Nathan Boon says:

What do you recommend after the 30 days are up for the plan to keep up the improvement/​strengthening.

4. Email me directly, and I will send you some workouts based on your fitness level and overall goals. My email address is sgtken@​gxonline.​com.

HOOAH!

SSG Ken Weichert

5. Tom says:

My last pt test I did 43 pushups, 55 situps, and 17:23 run. I just started operation pushing for points. How long before I see results in the run and pushups?

• Hope that you improved a great deal, Tom! My last case study using this program in Tennessee revealed an average individual Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) improvement of 57 points in 30 days. Hooah!

6. Andrew says:

SSG Ken,

Unfortunately, I recently failed my first APFT. I have been training hard on my own since then, and will certainly incorporate this in to my training plan.

I have never had any trouble maxing the push-​​ups, or scoring in the high 80’s in the sit-​​ups, but at 73″ and 215 lbs. the run has always been a problem area for me. Hopefully, with some dedication to this program I can destroy my re-​​test and not end up being a two-​​time no-​​go Staff Sgt.

Run Goal: Improve from 17:02 to sub 16:00.

Thanks for all you do, I will keep you posted on my improvement.

ARNG SSG

7. Guy says:

SGT Ken,

I am not that out of shape for my APFT, I\‘m averaging 255-​​260s, but I am
    having trouble on form, especially with my sit ups. I don\‘t know what I am
    doing wrong but every time I get past about 35–40 sit ups my legs
    automatically extend passed the 45degrees aloud. I\‘ll stop in the allowed
    resting position and try to scoot my *** towards my feet but I can\‘t.
    Because I keep extending past 45 degrees 10–15 of my sit ups don\‘t count
    because my legs are p*** 45 degrees. Do you have any exercises you
    recommend for me to do?

8. 2LT says:

I\‘m with Guy — any tips would be great!

9. joe says:

how many push ups should someone start off? and what do you mean 1/​2 sit ups?

10. Andrew says:

I unfortunatly scored a 158 on my apft missing by 6 on my sit ups and 1:30 on my run but easily making push ups. Here to hoping this routine can help me pass my test 30 days from today.

11. Josiah Williams says:

Will this work for someone going to active duty, for basic training?

Ken Weichert

Ken Weichert (a.k.a. "SGT Ken") is an international speaker, six-time U.S. Army Soldier of the Year, Master Fitness and Master Resilience Trainer, and veteran of Operations Iraqi Freedom and Desert Storm. In 1998, Ken founded the longest-running Boot Camp fitness program in America, START Fitness®. Ken has led thousands of Soldiers and civilians to better health through Operation Fit to Fight, a tactical fitness instructor training and testing program designed to prepare Soldiers for Basic Combat Training ("Boot Camp"), deployments, leadership schools and post-deployment recovery. Ken was the focus of an Emmy award-winning feature on CBS, and has been featured numerous times on ABC, NBC and FOX news. Ken was featured in the Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, San Francisco Chronicle and San Francisco Business Times newspapers, and 7X7 magazine. Ken has also written over 100 fitness and health articles for magazines such as GX®, Backpacker®, Outside®, Health®, and for the National Guard website.