Navy Special Ops /​ EOD Training

Navy SEAL Fitness Training

Navy Special Ops /​ EOD training questions…

Stew,

I am planning on joining the U.S Navy after summer, around August or September. It depends, I need to talk to my recruit. But I am emailing you because I have been looking up workouts and exercises to do to prepare myself for boot camp and possibly something further after boot camp. I read on military​.com that usually older/​more mature people are involved in Special Forces/​Operations. Would it be possible to join a Special Operations group just coming out of boot camp if you were 18?

Yes, you can join the military at that age and be going to the screening and training programs for special ops shortly after boot camp — but statistically younger guys are the ones who fail out of special ops… Usually 22+ are the majority of graduates.

Also, what specific workouts should I work on, or practice, or be looking forward to if I was looking at the EOD Special Ops as a Navy career in my future?

You need to learn how to ace the Navy SEAL /​ EOD PST which is:

- 500Yard Swim
– Pushups
– Situps
– Pullups
– 1.5 Mile Run

Competitive scores are:

- 500 Yard Swim in 8:00
– 80–100 Pushups in 2:00

- 80–100 Situps in 2:00
– 20+ Pullups
– 1.5 Mile Run in 9 Minutes

1. Air Man says:

Hi Stew,
    I\‘m in the process of training for the army. I will be going to Basic in Late March, early April. I will going into the Diver program 1st & then Volunteering for Ranger once completed. Reason being is so I will have a skill. Reason being if I decide not to make the Army a career I will have a skill to use after. I\‘m 39 and in great shape and an althalete, I will pass all the training w/​ flying Colors. The one thing I want to increase is my push ups, I have always just done 25 to 35 as the norm for me as a work out warm up. I need to improve this Quickly. I have been haveing problem getting over 50. I am the type of person that wants to be at the TOP of all that I do & to not be able to increasse this amount is starting to realy bother me.…. FAILURE IS NOT AN OPITION I will not fail. I would like some help from someone who is an Expert with this your background to point me in the right direction, with a work out that will make me break on through to at least 80 if not 100 reps.….. THANK YOU for your HELP in this very important Issue that I am facing
    Mike(Air Man)Buonomo

2. stew smith says:

The Army SF dive school is no joke and neither is Ranger school as you know…you will need a mix of Navy SEAL workouts followed by a ranger workout..

The difference is:

Navy SEAL workout — more swimming, PT, running

ranger workout more running /​ rucking leg PT along with upperbody PT but is very leg challenging…

stew@​stewsmith.​com

3. David says:

Stew, I am a junior in high school as well as a sea cadet. I am planning on attending the week or two long nscc winter seal training depending on its location(either florida or VA and im hoping on it being in VA because im in Maryland) and when I have off school for winter break. I am in pretty good shape in terms of running(doing a half marathon this summer) and pt and plan on being in the reccomended levels of fitness for buds by the time of the trainingexcept for swimming. I know how to improve on running, push ups, pull ups, sit ups, and a little bit of how to improve my swimming which im weak at currently. My question is how do you prepare for the log pt? Does it come naturally by doing regular pt or do I need to add certain weight training techniques into my workout?

4. David says:

5. Stew Smith says:

Here is what I do for log PT and swimming prep…see videos:

You can do one man log PT — see

You can do military presses and power cleans — but you do not need to go heavy — usually with a team of 5–6 you can push a 200 lb log with about 35-​​40lb effort…

stew

6. Tory Blakes says:

I have always wanted to become a navy seal but everyone tells me that there is no point.They say that im just going to join and fight for a country who doesnt care what should i do?

7. Lenny says:

My name is eric in in the navy DEP and I\‘m interested in becoming part of an EOD technician what kind of specific workouts shoudl I be doing? I leave in one year and am an athlete I struggle with swimming and pull ups what\‘s the most crucial thing to work on? Thank you I\‘d appreciate if we can E-​​mail sometime

8. Alexis Rossi says:

Hi Stew! My name is Alexis Rossi. I am a 15 years old, a female sophomore, a NS1 in NJROTC, and I took my ASVAB this year and scored a 62. I plan on either being a Nuclear Engineer for the Navy or an EOD for the Marines. I am looking for some guidance about the military, exercising and dieting. IWill things change because I am a woman? Also, what can I do now to prepare? (Email format wouldn\‘t work on my computer so I made my letter in the comment box) Thank you.

• Michael says:

Alexis, you\‘ll need around a 90 on the ASVAB to be competitive for the Nuclear option of Navy. Myself and those that went to school with me for Nuke had 99\‘s for example. It\‘s not impossible, but difficult even if you take the nuclear prep test to qualify with a lower score.

• Chris Branum says:

Marine Corps EOD you need a 110 GT score on the ASVAB, a 62 is not gonna cut it. Also, to be an EOD tech in the Marines you need to be an NCO generally with a few deployments under your belt. You must be doing a 1st class PFT, when your doing the package (reenlistment/​lateral move) you will run a PFT with an EOD tech monitoring, after that you will go through the Bomb suit test where you were a bomb suit walk 100 meters carring a device or ordnance(dummy) take a knee place object down, get in the prone, get back up unassisted, pick up object, and walk back. The Techs will more than likely make you do other tasks. You will need to have your Secret clearance done as well. Good luck, Marine Corps EOD is the smallest of all the branches as well as within the Marines so boat space is limited.

S/​F
      –SGT Branum, USMC

9. Alexis Rossi says:

Sorry for the spelling errors:
    Hi Stew! My name is Alexis Rossi. I am 15 years old, a female sophomore, a NS1 in NJROTC, and I took my ASVAB this year and scored a 62. I plan on either being a Nuclear Engineer for the Navy or an EOD for the Marines. I am looking for some guidance about the military, exercising and dieting. Will things change because I am a woman? Also, what can I do now to prepare? (Email format wouldn’t work on my computer so I made my letter in the comment box) Thank you.

10. Dalton says:

I am currently a senior in highschool and looking to become apart of the EOD team and have started the Category I training schedule. After completing the first 9 weeks I will move on to Category II. Now besides doing these workouts what else can I do to better increase my chances of making it into the Elite EOD team.

11. Austin says:

i just started training for the PT test

12. Im shania and i plan on going into navy after school and i plan on scoring a 169 on the ASVAB

13. Mike says:

Hi, Stew, i have a couple questions but ill start with I am a Junior i highschool and know for sure that i want to be an EOD tech for the Navy. i do plan on going to college so i have a lot of time to improve my fitness but for the most part i\‘m pretty fit. I am weak on my swimming though. Do you have any swimming based workouts that i can do to basically improve everything about my swimming, i don\‘t do a lot of swimming clearly.another question I\‘ve been looking at the college aid to help pay tuition, how exactly does that work do i enlist before college or something? and would i have to take the ASVAB before i go to college?and if so can i retake the ASVABs after college again in case i don\‘t do so hot seeing as i\‘m in highschool and id probably do better after a college education because i know the scores for EOD aren\‘t very easy. i do plan on going to talk to a recruiter soon so if you could just answer all you can that would be great i don\‘t want to be going in there blind haha. thanks.

• Stew Smith says:

Sure — see the swimming options chart article for some good ones or join a swim team — really all you need is pool time. Up to you — I was in much better shape after college than in high school for Spec Ops training. You might get college paid for if you try ROTC programs. But for GI bill you have to serve first then go to college. There are college debt payment plans in the military too but you have to sign up for more years at enlistment — usually 6 yr enlistment vs a 4 years. Ask a recruiter for specifics as these programs change with the needs of the military each year.

14. Kevin says:

I\‘m currently in Navy DEP contracted for EOD and my PST instructor tells me people attrite in the selection course simply because of IWPs. Are there certain workouts I can do to train for that besides treading water with weight? And i would also like to know if the selection course is mainly done with or without fins. Thanks!
    — Future Sailor Peccorini

• Stew Smith says:

Get good at treading water with no hands. Learn the egg beater kick the same way a water polo player does. You can find some great videos on the egg beater kick on youtube​.com to get the timing /​ stroke down. Water confidence is key — especially at BUDS /​ EOD dive school so practice the events such as underwater swimming stroke, drown proofing, floating, buddy breathing, etc. BUT always with a buddy or life guard on duty.

15. David m says:

Hello, I\‘m a junior in high school, and plan on joining the navy. I do MMA, and a really intense workout class, so I think that will defiantly help me. I\‘m really interested in the VBSS area, and I\‘m wondering if I wanted to do that, would I be better off doing nrotc, and then becoming a seal, or just do nrotc, and maybe become an aviator( although that is also kind of hard to get selected for) what should I do??

• Stew Smith says:

Another profession to consider if you like VBSS is the Coast Guard. They do that all the time. Depends really — if you are going to college to become an officer then you can do pilot or SEAL officer and be involved in those type of missions and MANY more. You will not just be doing VBSS in the SEALs — you maybe in a desert far away from any boats…

Read the other Navy SEAL articles as it is a lot of running and swimming preparation too. If your workouts are not including running /​ swimming you are missing out.

16. Aaliyah James says:

Hi, Stew I\‘m 14 yrs old I\‘m really serious about joining EOD when I graduate high school which wil be when I\‘m 19. I have been reasearching a lot about EOD and I was wondering how I could start preparing for EOD training ?

• Stew Smith says:

Well at this point focus on learning to be a good team player. Play sports, workout hard not only for sports but for your future goals too. I would add in running, swimming, pullups, pushups, situps regularly as that will be your \“entrance exam\” when you are ready to apply. See Navy EOD PST links on the military​.com site.

• Aaliyah James says:

Thanks for the advice stew does it matter what sports I play ?

• Stew Smith says:

Not really — team sports is best. Something physically challenging too. Being apart of a team is a critical skill that we need to master especially if thinking about joining the military /​ special ops.

17. Catrina says:

Hi Stew,

My name is Catrina. I\‘m 15 years old, soon to be 16 in march. I have a ton of questions. My brothers have been in the Navy and one in the Marines. I wanted to join the Army so all three of us would be in something different but my family said no. I\‘m looking into going in the Navy for a EOD. MY brothers have been helping me and making sure I\‘m staying active (all teenagers are lazy now days) anyways.. I have no clue what I need to do besides the pushups, situps and everything else. Is there anything I should know? I\‘ve been reading so many things on the Navy for a EOD. I think my brain is fried. My family doesn\‘t think I can do it, but I\‘m going to prove them wrong. They\‘re not supporting me besides my brothers.. well really only Josh who was in the Navy. he\‘s 37 now. Also a question that just came to my head is will I be able to contact my family? Not sure what else. I\‘m planning to graduate next year (could this year) and after I do, I\‘ll get a job and save up for anything I really need. I read that mostly people are over 22 years old that get accepted. So should I wait or no?

• Stew Smith says:

Hey I think that is great Catrina. At your age, it is not a bad idea to play team sports and learn how to be a good team player. Being part of a team as an EOD unit will require those skills. While you train for sports make sure you are getting prepared to compete in the EOD PST which is 500yd swim, pushups, situps, pullups, and a 1.5 mile run. That is your entrance exam so it helps to crush it. You can join the Navy after high school or get some college in and train even harder for a few more years.