3 “Super Foods” to Help You Gain Weight Fast!

Walnuts Super Food

Some foods work better than others for people who are trying or even struggling to increase muscle mass.  These types of food could be called “super food” to gain weight.  You need to achieve a calorie surplus in order to put on some pounds.  However, you need to do it in a way that won’t add a lot of body fat or endanger your health.  This is where these types of super food to gain weight come into the picture.

Super Food #1: Walnuts:

Walnuts offer a variety of benefits, including their amazing combination of healthy monounsaturated fats, phytosterols and the amino acid l-​​arginine.  Because of this combination, walnuts provide increased calories and high levels of nitric oxide, a natural substance in the body that helps stimulate muscle recovery and growth.  Walnuts even help in heart disease and cancer prevention because they cancel out the negative effects of the harmful saturated fats found in high-​​fat foods.  If you’re eating this super food to gain weight, your target should be about 20 grams of walnuts daily.

Super Food #2: Oranges

Vitamin C is a powerful protector of the body’s levels of nitric oxide.  Oranges contain a large amount of this vitamin, which helps keep the nitric oxide “bioavailable” so it can assist in building muscle mass.  The effects of vitamin C work in combination with the walnuts added to your diet.  If you eat an orange 30 to 45 minutes before your workout, it will help maintain your nitric oxide levels where they need to be while you’re training.

Super Food #3: Dried Fruit

Although it contains a fair bit of sugar, most dried fruit is also loaded with fiber.  It also includes high amounts of the vitamins and minerals that are required to stay healthy and build muscle.  Dried fruit decreases the amount of body fat that is stored and is full of calories, meaning that it helps you achieve the calorie surplus you need to gain weight.  Snack on dried fruit throughout the day, but be sure to also drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration.  You should avoid commercial dried bananas that are full of fat and look for “unsulfured” dried fruit.

To gain weight, all you need to do is eat a lot of food.  But to gain weight in a healthy way while increasing muscle mass, you should add these “super foods” to your diet.

For more information on weight gain, read the following articles:

1. Tim Hunt says:

I am a diabetic and wonder if ican gain weight in a responsible way?

• Absolutely Tim! For one thing, depending upon your carbohydrate tolerance, opt for low-​​glycemic carb sources like sweet potatoes, brown rice, whole grain breads (with 4g of fiber or more per slice), etc. These will help you keep your insulin levels down.

My caution to you though would be to limit your sugar or high glycemic carbs except for immediately after an intense weight training workout. An insulin spike at this time is helpful for recovery and muscle growth, but you should discuss this with your doctor on what your tolerance level is for sugar after workouts.

Also, increase your intake of “good fats” to provide you with the anabolic nutrients you need to maximize testosterone production. This will go a long way toward helping you gain muscle as you gain weight and increase your calories.

2. Keshia says:

Do this stuff really work?

3. Candy says:

I have always been a petite female. im 5\‘3 23 years old and only weight in at 89.2lbs. according to my blood work im perfectly healthy. my vitamins are at a normal/​slightly above level of goodness, my thyroid works great, my cholesterol is perfect, and my arteries flow like a roaring river. yet i cant seem to gain weight! in this society im seen as either having a eating disorder, which i can promise you i do not, im small framed and i can out eat most men. or im seen as someone who just needs to eat. most of my doctors assure me that my weight is perfect according to marine standards ( maybe but not able to gain anything or even muscle mass seems odd) but this week i saw a new GYN who informed me i was severely underweight, normally i dont reffer to my female exam doctor for general health guidance BUT she seemed really distant to the questions i had using \“your so tiny\” as an excuse for every response to my questions. just because im tiny doesnt meant im incapable of having ***, ever. i have a 2 year old obviously i was doing just fine before hand lol. ive tried raising my daily calorie intake to 3000 after 6m i lost weight!? i stoped working out like i used to now i just walk around the block with the dog and my son, i do light house keeping daily and only vigorous work once in a while. no doctor has helped me figure out why i cant gain or why i am so tiny. i started keeping a food journal, showed my dr, who stated \“well you eat more than enough, your fine.\” im smaller than i was in HS. everyone says \“at least you are over weight\” but its easier to diet than to gain weight, and people think just because i aam skinny i can just eat a ton of junk food and be fine. im a slightly picky eater, i like healthy foods but i use only countrycrock butter, whole milk, real sugar. ive been eating meat since 2009 in hopes that would help. I dont know what to do anymore. PLEASE help! i have noticed that i have migraines constantly. im always tired. but cant sleep. im short of breath easily. i dont bruise easily and my nails grow with no issue so i know my calcium iron and potatsium is good. i take multivitamins daily, i eat 3 childrens gummies a day because they are low in calcium because my family has a history of kidney stones. i love pastas and vegies, and rice/​beans/​potatoes. ive even tried eating junk food they say makes people fat. any tips would be greatly apprecited. and please no negativity, i get enough of that from family and strangers as it is.. thank you. sincerely, scared mommy :-/​

• Heidi liverseed says:

I would advise you get your thyroid screened more thoroughly. A basic thyroid screener does not always show everything. You should make an appointment with an endocrinologist. This type of doctor specializes in your bodies metabolic system and will be the most knowledgeable in helping to figure out why your body is metabolizing your food so quickly. I have had thyroid problems, and I know exactly how you feel when you say you are tired but can\‘t sleep! I call it tired but wired! Good luck!

• bryan leonardo says:

yeah. based on what she wrote like: short of breath easily,
        get easily tired but can\‘t sleep, i think her thyroid is hyper. i dont know. im not a doctor but i am feeling this too.
        My body is shaking, and i lost weight from 67kg down to 54kg.
        You have to go to a real doctor. an endocrinologist.
        we have the same problem. can\‘t gain weight.

• NicoleD says:

You pretty much have been doing the same things i used to do to gain weight. And i will tell you, its the wrong way to do it. Unfortunately, our bodies work a little bit more opposite than most people. When we are unhealthy, we get scrawny. It is also not worth it to fill your body with junk food! Even if it were working, there are better way. You need healthy fats. Walnuts, peanut-​​butter, and avocado. Bread and pasta is okay too, as long as your living a healthy lifestyle. Next you need to start weight training. Squats, leg press, lunges, and step ups. You body is only going to respond to building muscle to get bigger. I used to be so skinny and scrawny that i was made fun of all the time, the training turned it all around. within 2–3 months you should be rockin\’ shapely legs!

4. Joao says:

I have been eating large quantities of of mandazis mixed with beans three months ago and may weight was okay..then i stopped and i felt a drop in weight, i now weigh 3 kilograms less…right now i feel week and tired while my stomach is sour while my temperature is always hot…i got treated 4 malaria and i am convinced um okay. I have a little stress too and i dont know if that has effect oo my weight. I want to gain weight healthily please help

5. Lucky says:

I really like this and I am gonna use this in my daily diet.

6. nae says:

hello everyone i need yall help can some please tell me how i can gain weight im so petite im 15 and i just hate my size i need sum kinds of foods to help me gain sum weight please .. it would mean alot im soo little but i can take in ahandful of food at once it still doesnt help anything just plz leave me a comment so i can kno wat to do just want to get a lil thicker you have to be daht way in hs nowadays :/​

7. Danish says:

Hello,
    I am 15 year old boy and wanted some advice on how to increase my weight nd height quickly as according to my age i\‘m really thin nd my height is also small. Height 5\‘4 nd Weight 94.7988 lbs.Can Bodybuilding help? does it stunt growth ? im asking this because my parents believe it..
    Another Question does raw eggs help boost growth ??

8. Dareen says:

I have a very high metabolisim and i have tried everything i am trying to gain 20–30 pounds. How much should I eat? should i avoid anything? how many calories thank you so much!

9. Cole says:

I eat normal, but I just can\‘t keep the lbs. will these foods help?

• Will they help? Yes.

Will they solve your weight gain challenge? Not by themselves.

I always tell people to start by greatly increasing your daily calorie intake (by at least 500 calories). This can easily be done with some well-​​made protein smoothies without feeling like you\‘re eating like a pig.

Your goal is to simply get your weight moving up… then figure out if that weight is coming from muscle gain or fat. If it\‘s muscle… awesome! If you notice it\‘s a lot of body fat (a little is ok if you\‘re naturally skinny), then keep the calories high but ramp up your training more with the weights.

10. ociano says:

Hello everyone, I\‘m 28 , 5.11ft tall , 65kg, from Africa , pls most people say I\‘m tiny, some say I don\‘t eat normal or that I\‘m a patient of malnutrition, I try as much as I could to eat 3 times a day , but still nothing shows up on the body, although I\‘m always having insomnia, but is that really my problem?, all are they super foods that can make me add calories for quick weight gain , or may be supplements ?

11. Destiny says:

I\‘ve been small my whole life and I recently gained weight, about 20 pounds and loved the way it looked on me. But I got very sick and dealt with a bad break up, a family member passed, and stress at work because of my illness I lost it all and more. I\‘m 5\‘3 1/​2 and right now I\‘m 112. My senior prom is coming up and I wish to become at least 130 again. I eat constantly! I work out everyday, cardio twice a week. Is there any advice you can give me to gain weight fast? I\‘ve tried other ways and increased my calories, ate less snacks and larger meals but for some reason I could not gain anything. Please, any help will do. Thank you!

12. douden says:

im 24 weighing 52kls im eating regularly but still im skinny, BMI computation for may age and weight is normal. i usualy go to gym before but I stop it since no changes. any help I\‘m working graveyard so my eating habbit sometimes not on time.

13. Munna says:

Iam 6fet heigt but my weigth is 45 my age 21 iam slim body plz give any solution to pick up my body.

14. JANIE says:

hi my dads been dionosed with severe heart failure & under active thyroid gland hes lost alot of weight can you tell what foods will help as everything has to be checked i.e salt, sodium, sat fats ect.
    kind regards janie

15. Natalie Costin says:

Please could someone help. Im bedridden after a tumour operation last year and i have lost alot of weight. My family and myself are worried to death.. I eat fortecreme yogurts full of vitains etc.. but lying all the time i have no appetite at all and can only manage to eat very small amounts of a meal. Im losing my strength quite much now too. I would hate so much to go into hospital as i hate them. If anyone knows of any food dtinks or anyway to help me gain weight fast i would really appreciate it. Please thank you

16. buy ativan says:

Your own article offers confirmed useful to myself.
    It’s quite useful and you\‘re naturally quite knowledgeable of this type. You have popped my personal face to different opinion of this matter along with intriguing, notable and sound written content.

17. matthew says:

will this work if you have acid reflux? because I need to gain about 60-​​70lbs to be normal weight due to my acid reflux makes it hard to gain weight and for the air force I gotta gain 80-​​100lbs for my height and weight requirements and im guna try and join by next year right when I get out of highschool

18. Cynthia says:

Hi im a 12 year old girl going to 13 . i am only about 87 pounds but i want to gain a little bit more at least 10 more pounds because my parents say im skinny . what healthy foods can i eat ?

19. joey says:

hello I’m a type 1 diabetic. I way about 138 then I go up to 144 n lose my weight . My sugars aren’t the greatest. So I was wondering if there is anything I can eat or drink to help me reach my goal of being at least 150 lbs or lil more and keep my sugars from being outta control.

20. Mandy says:

Hi can u use cacao powder

21. Fay says:

Hi George
    I tried your recipe for the coconut shake, very good,
    but so thick you cannot drink it. I used the whole coconut, did I use to much. Will you tell me how much coconut to use Thanks for posting your recipe.

22. rob says:

A misguided notion is that saturated fats are bad for you.\” Dietary guidelines inevitably fail to distinguish between different kinds of saturated fats and insist that saturated fats (meaning all saturated fats) are harmful.

This is not just misleading. It is bad science. Leading scientists now recognize that just as there is good cholesterol, there are also good saturated fats.

Fats are classified as short-​​, medium– or long-​​chain based on the number of carbon molecules they contain. Nearly two-​​thirds of the saturated fat in coconut oil consists of medium-​​chain fatty acids.

When we eat long-​​chain fatty acids, they must be emulsified by bile salts in the small intestine before they can be absorbed into our body. Short– and medium-​​chain fatty acids, such as those in coconut milk, are absorbed directly through the portal vein to the liver, where they are immediately available to the body.

In other words, most of the saturated fat in coconut oil is easily digestible and converted into quick energy. And these types of fatty acids are less likely to cause obesity because they are immediately used by the body and have no opportunity to be stored. coconut in milk or oil form by no means would be used for weight gain, this is a misconception, in fact correctly informed nutritionists will often advise people trying to loose wight and to sublimate milk and cooking oils with coconut milk and coconut oil because it facilitates weight lose and is packed with loads of healthy natural substances, coconut is mother natures gift to humans…

23. Great point Rob. In fact, when cutting down on carbs to reduce fat, I\‘ve used MCT oil as to increase energy without worrying about gaining any fat.

Coconut oil is extremely healthy (in many ways), but not a great weight-​​gain producer. However, because it\‘s so readily usable by the body for energy, it could help spare muscle tissue loss for those hardgainers who have trouble keeping muscle on. It should still be used in conjunction with some other healthy, high-​​calorie foods to help increase recovery.

Thanks for chiming in with some science!