Carbohydrate Secrets for Fast Weight Gain

Carbohydrates and Weight Gain

If you are looking for fast weight gain then you will probably find that the dieter’s worst enemy — the evil carbohydrate — can actually be the skinny person’s best friend. In fact, people looking for ways to gain weight fast can finally find victory by taking another look at how they consume carbohydrates and add them to their mass building diet.

For the average person, carbohydrates help to prevent muscle from becoming broken down and robbed of its energy resources. This is actually an even bigger concern for those that have a skinny ectomorph body style. There is a lot of hard work that goes into gaining weight therefore the last thing that you want to do is to see the muscle mass that you have built being drastically affected due to an inappropriate level of carbohydrates.

The primary key to achieving fast weight gain using carbohydrates is to understand the different types of carbohydrates and the best time to consume them. When you focus on low-​​glycemic carbohydrates, commonly referred to as complex carbohydrates, such as sweet potato, brown rice and whole grain breads, the digest slower in the body and therefore they provide you with energy all during the day.

However there are other types of carbohydrates that are often seen as harmful, but these can actually be very useful for people that are looking to gain weight fast. These carbohydrates are commonly referred to as simple, or high glycemic carbs, and are found in foods such as white potatoes, white breads, white sugar and also white rice. These carbohydrates tend to break down rather quickly within the body and they tend to cause a rapid release of sugar into the blood. This rapid release of sugar into the blood then triggers a rise in the level of the hormone known as insulin. This has a dramatic effect on weight gain.

Insulin would normally cause you to gain weight in the form of fat if you consume the high glycemic products at the wrong times. It is very important to consume the high glycemic foods at the correct times, as this will prevent you gaining the wrong type of weight and it will actually help you to gain lean muscle tissue. There are some tips that are good to consider when aiming for fast weight gain.

Carb Tip #1 For Fast Weight Gain: Go “Simple” After Your Workouts.

The first tip to consider is to consume high glycemic meals straight after a workout. When you are training intensely you tend to use up stored sugar in your muscles and therefore if you want to gain weight fast you will have to restore it fairly quickly. If the sugar is not replaced quickly, muscle tissue will be used for fuel rather than seeing it built up as a result of your training.

Carb Tip #2 For Fast Weight Gain: Consume high-​​glycemic carbs again an HOUR past your workouts.

The second tip that should be considered for fast weight gain is to consume more high glycemic foods about an hour after your workout. This is very powerful, especially for skinny people that are looking to gain weight. These people can afford a bigger increase in their insulin level, as this will help with weight gain.  Consuming high glycemic foods will help to overcome their naturally high metabolism, and keep their anabolic hormones at a high level at the time when it can work best to build lean muscle mass.

Carb Tip #3 For Fast Weight Gain:  Take advantage of carbs DURING your workout.

Another great tip to consider when gaining weight fast is to consume a drink that has a high sugar level during your workout. Because your workouts will drain your muscles of stored sugar for fuel, carb intake during your workout will block this muscle-​​wasting process and jumpstart recovery.  This will help you to build more lean muscle and accomplish your goal of fast weight gain.

For more information on weight gain, read the following articles:

1. Sanjiv says:

Doesnt work for me =(
    I am 17 year old…i work out roughly every 3–4 days for 1 and a half — two hours. I eat ALOT…people are always shocked when they see me eat and ask me how could I still be so thin. I eat the food you mentioned above like white rice and white bread alot​.It is nearly impossible for me to gain weight. help…

2. For one thing, your workouts are FAR too long. You should train for no more than 1 hour. If you\‘re a \“hardgainer\” ectomorph, you should keep it closer to 45 minutes or less.

After that, you\‘ll actually see a decline in anabolic hormones like testosterone and an increase in catabolic (muscle wasting) hormones like cortisol.

Chop your workouts in half and that\‘s the first most important step I would suggest to begin gaining weight.

• Daniel says:

Jeff,

Your knowledge on fitness and nutrition is inspiring. I also have a fitness and nutrition background from being an athlete all my life as well as learning from many sources.

I was 17 and 129lbs when I started weight lifting and my goal to being 165lb. I am now 25 and 145lbs, but I never stayed consistent for more than 4 months because of school. During training, I would workout 5 days a week for 1hr-​​2hrs a session. I ate a lot of clean foods and used many of the weight gainers on the market, as part of the \“1 gm per lb. of body weight\” plan. My weight would just yo-​​yo.

I just started with the 1hr workout window even though I am guilty of going over sometimes, and I shoot for 6 clean smaller macro-​​nutrient rich meals a day. I finished school and I am on my 2nd week of base building with body weight exercises before I start using free weights (this time, no stopping).

I read your article on excessive protein but you never specified how much protein per lb. of lean muscle mass one should take. I use the palm of my hand to portion my meals but how much protein and carbs. should I intake per day?

My goal is still 165lb., but I want to get there while decreasing body fat. Is there anything you recommend I do?

And great articles man, I am now a fan.

–Daniel

My questions are

• Sanjiv says:

Thanks! 1 more thing. If I cut my workouts to the time frame you suggested, does it mean that I should work out everyday? because every time I work out, I work my whole upper body– chest,shoulders,arms and abs…and theres this thing about me…when I workout, I only tend to stop when I feel I\‘ve completely worked out my muscles. Seems to be the only thing satisfactory enough to make me stop.

3. Daniel says:

eff,

I was 17 and 129lbs when I started weight lifting and my goal to being 165lb. I am now 25 and 145lbs, but I never stayed consistent for more than 4 months because of school. During training, I would workout 5 days a week for 1hr-​​​​2hrs a session. I ate a lot of clean foods and used many of the weight gainers on the market, as part of the “1 gm per lb. of body weight” plan. My weight would just yo-​​​​yo.

I just started with the 1hr workout window even though I am guilty of going over sometimes, and I shoot for 6 clean smaller macro-​​​​nutrient rich meals a day. I finished school and I am on my 2nd week of base building with body weight exercises before I start using free weights (this time, no stopping).

My goal is still 165lb., but I want to get there while decreasing body fat. Do you have any advice for me to get there?

And great articles man, I am now a fan.

–Daniel

• luke says:

if you workout properly you can get from 129lb to 165 easily in a year. compound exercises and free weights are your friend. No slacking if you continually stick to your 5 day routine and work out hard enough you should decrease body fat while building muscle.

4. Catherine Williams says:

Hello again Jeff. Great information about carbohydrates for ectomorphs. If I were male I believe I would be labeled as a hard gainer as I do have a very fast metabolism. If I am not looking to gain or lose weight, but I want to make sure I am adequately replenishing my glycogen stores, how many grams of carbs should I consume after an intense hour long cardio workout (varying between 60% and 90% HRM)? I am 35 years old, female, 130 pounds, and I consume about 2,500 calories a day, or more depending on my activity level. Thank you for your expertise! Oh, and I loved the “wicked fast” shoulder routine…at least, until the next day :)

5. Obosa says:

Hello Jeff. I am a lady who currently weighs 62kg (about 135 pounds). Up to 2 years ago, i used to weigh about 68kg (about 149 pounds).All my old clothes no longer fits me and i actually look emaciated. I have 3 kids who keep me on my feet and i have an extremely fast metabolism, but i also have an extremely large appetite and i eat all the white carbohydrates you spoke of and yet am unable to gain back my weight. I am skeptical of starting any exercise routine as my normal activity level is high and i don\‘t want to loss any more weight. please help.

6. Jeff Anderson says:

My first question would be, \“Are you eating enough meals throughout the day?\” 3 meals a day makes it tough to get in enough calories to create the surplus you need to gain weight. Make sure you\‘re eating about 5–6 meals a day and focus on adding more healthy dietary fat to your meals (such as olive oil or flax oil). Eat ever 2–3 hours and this will help you gain weight.

Also, don\‘t skip out on your exercise program. You\‘ll still be able to gain weight but it will be the right kind of weight and may stimulate your appetite more.

7. vegas coach says:

Jeff:
    I just discovered your articles and site. Thanks for the information. My son is 15 1/​2 years old, 5\’11\” and 142 lbs. He will be a sophomore.
    He plays baseball and basketball for his high school. To play college baseball at a D1 or D2 school, most rosters are filled with kids reporting in at 180 lbs plus. We recently started strength training and are using whey protein.
    What nutrition regimen might we find online to gain weight/​muscle mass correctly. Our goal would be 15 to 20 pound per year for next 3 years. Outside of the whey protein, we wish to be very careful with any supplements. Would like to accomplish this naturally but would not mind a safe, proven, weight weight gainer. FYI, my dear friend Adam, former army \“Fitest man\” in his battallion taught me how to lift so we\‘re good there.
    Thanks

• meathead says:

dextrose. put lots of dextrose in those shakes. 20 grams whey protein isolate with 40 grams dextrose and 5 grams creatine immediately before workout. 40 grams whey protein isolate with 60 grams dextrose and 5 grams of creatine within and hour after workout. and on top of that eat all day. drink milk with every meal.

8. Shannon Shumaker says:

Old post, though I know a fact is still a fact. I was hoping you could help me. I want to lose about two pounds. Truth is, I weigh 122 and am a 5\‘2 1/​2\” male. I wanted to be in the middle of the BMI. I used to weigh 133 but had to undergo reconstructive jaw surgery and have been wired shut since the 19th of February.

I was hoping you could help me figure out what my daily intake would be to successfully gain muscle (not fat) and weigh around 130. I know I will be using weights, however I am also in the process of training for my first 5K. I don\‘t know how to throw both of them into one day and still eat all of the calories needed to gain weight. I\‘m eating around 1400 calories. If you could help, I would greatly appreciate it.

9. Alisohn says:

Hi my question is I\‘m 19 years old and still have the physique breasts an all, of a ten year old…
    I\‘ve recently begun working out to build muscle in my thighs and to tone my ab and sides to get a more hour glass womanly figure. For the past 2 weeks I\‘ve been eating a minimum of 2000 calories. A lot of it in whole milk, white bread, peanut butter, red beans and white rice, and cheesy pastas. I\‘ve since gained only 3lbs…
    So my question is how much and of what kind of carbs should I add in to help speed the process. Currently I\‘m at 103lbs roughly. My ideal weight is 115.
    Also when I work out it\‘s only for 15 minute intervals on stretches every 2-​​3days and walks of about 2 miles everyday. Any advice on how to reach my goal weight would be greatly appreciated.

10. Gabriel says:

Daniel lookup Precisionnutrition​.com. Dr berardi is the best in this industry and has a coaching program called scrawny to brawny which coaches skinny guys twice a year to best results in industry 20–35 lbs of muscle in 1 year! Not quick fix like many others. They add new habits every two weeks. These guys track everything online and are amazing! You\‘ll learn so much from them. Check out their Facebook page. Tons of articles by Nate Green on living a bigger life!

11. pranav says:

I followed my own diet and a supplement named muscle juice .… of helped me gain 3.2 kg in just 10 days

Along with that I used to have half ltr milk twice a day and 8 bananas also used cashew and raisins.… I\‘m expecting to go 5 more kgs in next 20 days ..