5 Tactical Tips to Survive a Home Invasion

Are you aware that you’re eight times more likely to be involved in a home invasion attack than you are to be involved in a house fire? When intruders enter you house forcefully, whether for the thrill of it or to rob you and take your family hostage, this is considered to be a home invasion. Don’t make the mistake of thinking home invasions only take place in high crime areas. There are stories of home invasions taking place in suburbs and rural areas. These attacks are more common than most people think. Now is the time to plan a home defense strategy that will keep you and your family safe if you’re ever faced with a violent home invasion attack.

Here’s Everything You Need To Know To Survive A Violent Home Invasion

Stories of Real Home Invasion Survivors

You can view home invasion stories on the prime time news or in newspapers to understand the secret of surviving this kind of violent attack. One of the most common factors is that the home owner owns a gun or some other kind of weapon that can be used to defend themselves. If you are worried about becoming a victim of this type of crime, this is a very good idea. However, many handgun owners haven’t learned how to use their guns outside of the more relaxed atmosphere of the shooting range. There’s a self defense weapon that’s much more important than a gun.

The Best Home Defense Weapon

Of all the available home defense weapons, the most effective one is your brain. No matter what type of home defense weapon you use, you have to be able to think tactically. This kind of thinking goes beyond the usually point and shoot reaction that most gun owners have instilled in their brains because of the typical range training they use. Lets break this down a little more and really tap into your brain and devise a realistic home invasion self defense plan.

Five Home Defense Tactics That Will Help You Survive A Violent Home Invasion

1. You need to develop a code word that will tell your entire family that its time to spring into action. You don’t need to make up some kind of secret code. The word “ESCAPE” works very well and is simple and straight to the point. Forget about “Red Wolf” and use something simple.

2. Designate a “safe room” in your home where everyone can go to at the same time. This room should be stocked with several specific items that will help you survive the upcoming fight. The list of items isn’t that long, but the list is outside the scope of this article. The one thing that you must have in this room is a phone that can be used to call the police.

3. Do not, under any circumstances, leave the safe room. If you have your family in the room with you, resist the urge to put on your cape and fight the invaders single handedly.

4. Develop a “fatal funnel”. If you are using a gun for home defense, position yourself in a corner of the safe room that is on the opposite side of the door. This will give you the maximum amount of time decide if you’re going to shoot because you’ll be the last thing the intruders see when they burst through the door. In this instance, you have the advantage because they will have to make an assessment of the room before they make a move. You only have to decide if you’re going to shoot or not. You will know that its either the police coming to your rescue or the bad guys coming to harm you. Just make sure you don’t shoot the police.

5. Stay in the safe room until the police arrive, no matter how long it takes. Even if you are pretty sure the home invasion is finished and the intruders have left, do not leave the safe room. You can’t be sure that the attackers aren’t lying in wait to take your family by force to hold as hostages or cause harm. Stay in the room until the police have cleared the house and tell you to come out before you decide the home invasion is over.

1. david says:

Another way of thinking about this is that there are about 2000 home fire deaths in the US each. Multiply this number by the supposed factor of eight and you’ve equalled the ENTIRE US homicide level!

2. jake says:

Rhonda, just wanted to point out a little ambiguity in your statement:

“Anyone that harms or kills another person should be put to death.”

Even in the case where someone harms or kills an aggressor who is trying to harm or kill the defender? Surely you don’t mean that. And what about cases of say a bar brawl where both parties are at fault?

Just hoping to add a little more clarity on the internet, especially as statements such as the quoted one, when not qualified and clarified can give ammo to the anti crowd.

3. MacktheKnife says:

While I would have liked to see the list of safe room items in this article the article gives what it says, a plan to stay alive. The title doesnt say kill the bad guy and save your stuff. This is a different approach than what a lot of “hero” type people suggest. I agree with one comment that a tv can be replaced, A life cannot.
    I do not think it cowerdly to take a defensive position in your home and wait for reinforcements (police) the military does it all the time. Thanks for the read. Mack

4. Nottellingyou says:

If you don’t have a gun but they do and you and your mother only have two swords how would we survive

5. luk says:

Ja, hier in SUID AFRiKA is dit alledaags om aangeval te word. Guns is uit om te gebruik. Gebruik jy n legal gun, gaan jy tronk toe. Maak nie saak of jy skuldig is of nie, jy word ook onmiddelik onbevoeg verklaar om n gun te besit. Ilegal guns is in. Niemand kan jou vervolg nie. Ek praat nie van daardie poepgesig wat bang is vir , as hulle jou huis kom deursoek, dan het jy moeilikheid. K.…K man. Dis baie erger as die wild west hier. Vir elke wettige wapen is daar 20 in sy plek.

6. Robert says:

**** ever hits the fan im coming to your house!

7. G Boone says:

1. Light up the outside of the home where you can.
    2. Motion detector lights.
    3. Consider MURS radio sensors that will transmit to inside a room/​radio a zone violation. On Amazon. Inexpensive.
    4. Secure the door jams of home with 4 inch screws vice the ones given. Do something about the windows for alarm/​noise, etc…
    5. Guns. All guns will be fine… IF… you will practice using the gun of your choice.
    6. Program emergency dial into all phones, both Cell and Hard Wire.
    7. IF you are truly making a safe room for all to go to, then consider a heavy door for that room and a method to secure the door wiht a cross bar or similar.
    8. Consider IP based video cameras in home that can be run from a laptop and observe parts of the home.

NOW… My first thought besides a bullet for any non lethal situation where you are fearful but do not want to make a mistake and kill someone or a cop or family member.…

GO TO OUTDOOR STORE and by a BIG Can for each member of family.… OF BEAR SPRAY. THey have a longer spray time and longer distance.

Peace

8. migael says:

Guys, its been proven that the .45cal round is the most effective manstopper around. You want to kill/​stop the threat to your family as quickly and effectively as possible… Look at the Colt 1911 (.45cal). Read up on it.. A home invasion (here in south africa) is the most horrible of crimes… Always goes together with rape and mutilation… Prepare yourself mentally, and be ready.

9. DanL says:

Unfortunatly I live in California where criminals are molycoddled and innocent citizens are vilified. During the day I am a live in caregiver to my 89 year old Mother and 86 year old step father. In the house I have a 1911 .45 and a “retreat to ” room that has one door entrance and a window large enough to escape the room if necessary. My step-​​father is an army veteran and is very familiar with the 1911. He is still a bang-​​on shot and isn’t afraid to use my pistol if necessary if I’m not home.

But during the evening I work as a part time janitor and even if I did carry my .45 illegally, if I used it I would go to prison instead of the my attacker.

So I enlisted my best friend and his step son to be muggers and practiced using the janitor tools I have on hand.

Besides being aalways aware of my surroundings, the best defense tool at the start of an attack was a squirt bottle of ammonia window cleaner (water was subed for Windex in the practice sesions).

There is no way even the most radical of bleeding hearts who run this communist state can accuse me of carrying a condealed weapon when my only means of self defense was an old chewed up bottlle (a new bottle cammied to look old) of Windex.

Of course nothing will replace situational awareness and knowledge of ANY possible innocuous self– defense tools at hand.

Even a toilet plunger!

10. DanL says:

You are more of a victem waiting to happen. Have you better advice?

11. DanL says:

And what bank did you rob to get all the money to pay for this?

Most of us who are potential victoms can afford a shot gun. Period.And box of ammo if we eat peanut butter sandwiches for dinner for a week or so.

You may be independantly wealthy, but the rest of us have to put up with the pissant bleeding heart liberals and plane old communist ***holes they vote into office.

12. DanL says:

Right On!!!

13. DanL says:

It sounds like you’re one of those bleeding hearts who believe crimnals have the right to enter someones home and do whatever they want.

Maybe you ARE one of those criminals who think they have the right to enter someones home and do whatever they want. Either way, you are a loser.

14. DanL says:

Disembowel ‘em!!!

15. Steve says:

.410 with 00 load, or even a slug. When you fire at someone, you want to eliminate the threat once and for all. “Dead men ARE NOT a threat.

16. Steve says:

As a former Marine with extensive weapons training and experience, when you “rack a round” in a shotgun, that particular sound has a definite psychological effect to it. Plus with a shotgun ( I have a Mosberg 590 loaded with 00 shot ), you don’t particularly have to aim. plus that particular load is like being hit with a baseball bat to the face.

17. Peter nielsen says:

Im from Denmark and we have huge problems with scumbag´s from East europe that only come here for one purpose only,… TO COMMIT CRIME,.. typical HOME INVASION. I hate these motherfuckers. i would love to use some MMA on them,.. really smash there face in. BUT-​​BUT-​​BUT, in Denmark you are not allowed to defend yourself from ANY crime. Really really sad

18. Eric says:

Best reply I have EVER read to this question.

19. Dan says:

I disagree. If you don’t give the list of items to keep in your safe room, you shouldn’t even have mentioned it.

20. Aaron says:

Being a former Aux. PO, I can state that a good shot gun with 00 shot. Will take out anything that stands in your line of sight. As “Steve” stated, you don’t have to be a good shot. Just aim in the direction of the intruder and fire ! But ONLY if you have a clean shot. Get to your “Safe Room”, lock yourselves in, call PD, if you have a weapon tell the PD that you do and what type of weapon you have. So you don’t get yourself shot ! Believe me it CAN happen.

21. Aaron says:

Jeff, well said.

22. Al says:

Self Defense is Self Preservation simple as that. I worked in Law Enforcement fr 23 yrs. and when you shoot, you shoot to kill. Always remember… Front Sight, Center Mass and Double Tap… assess the results and repeat as necessary. Practice Double Tap… 2 rounds not one…

23. Patriot says:

“Just make sure you don’t shoot the police.”

You have no right to tell me who to shoot. The 2nd ammendment gives me the right to bear arms and I’ll shoot whoever the fuck I want whenever the fuck I want.

24. Steve says:

So, what happens when you miss with that fancey handgun and the round goes through the wall and outside of the house, and then enters your neighbor’s home and kills him (or her)? Contrary to popular belief, it is pretty easy to miss even at short range when you are under distress. A pump shotgun (I read Mossburg 500 or Remington shotgun is the most reliable firearm available) makes a very intimidating and universally recognizable sound when it is cocked(pumped). “SHHHHKKK SHHHHK”!!!!!! If I was a home invader and heard that, I would be outta there ASAP!!!

25. John says:

Keep any old cell phone and its charger in your “safe room” even if it is nothing more than a bathroom. Old cell phones without a supporting calling plan can still get thru to 911 operaters in an emergency. (That is why the battered women centers are always wanting your old phones) We keep a loaded 9mm Hi-​​Power inside a push button locking gun safe in the bedroom, with a dedicated flashlight above it. I travel half the year, and have instructed my wife if needed 1. get the gun, 2. get inside the bathroom and lock the door. 3. call 911 and wait inside the bath tub for the police. If anyone breaks thru the door, empty the gun.

26. Denis Breedlove says:

AR-​​15 is the best home defense weapon and your government is going to take that right away

27. Pastor Rick says:

Hey Jeff

Who are you to determine if a response is professional or not? He told it like he see\‘s it and many agree. You might consider where others are coming from and be professional enough to see where you may have dropped the ball.

I appreciate your efforts, I honestly do. But as a Licensed, Certified Instructor in Firearms, CQC, Pepper Spray and Personal Protection the article is weak at best.

Please step up your game and I am sure we will all show more appreciation. Keep the faith, keep your chin up and keep moving forward.

Blessings and Safety

Pastor Rick

28. Pastor Rick says:

Bart, NEVER shoot to wound. If they are only wounded then they can still try to kill you right? In many states if you shoot a warning shot (unless you are Joe Biden\‘s wife), or shoot to wound you can be prosecuted for attempted murder. Sad as it is, when your life is on the line it is kill or be killed.

Be Safe

29. Pastor Rick says:

1) Interior singe cylinder deadbolts on Bed and Bath doors help buy time.

2) Replace hinge and strike plate screws with 3 inch screws. Fortifies the door/​frame and buys time.

3) Cell phone charged in bedroom for Night Home Invasion

4) 220 lumen or brighter tactical flashlight strategically placed to temporarily distract/​blind the intruder.

5) Firearm (with training)

6) Pepper Spray (with training) There are several formats Stream, Foam, Gel, Fog, you need to understand what each does, it\‘s purpose, distance and effectiveness.

7) Motion detectors on light help you to be proactive.

8) Security cameras are pretty inexpensive these days and will record what\‘s going on.

9) Light stick with house key attached so if it is dark you can toss out of a second story window to allow Police or Fire department easy and quick access.

These are just a few of the things we talk about having in \“safer rooms\” in homes.

Be Safe

Pastor Rick

30. Jaclyn says:

Dude, you were OWNED by the comments.

31. hayden says:

thanks i just thought i herd somone (tru story)

32. hayden says:

and i have a michety

33. Jeff Anderson says:

For everyone’s reference, my standard of professionalism for these blog comments is about the tone in which people leave a response. I don’t mind disagreement or debate — I actually enjoy the discussion — but we can disagree without being disagreeable. Sarcasm and insults won’t be tolerated and comments will be deleted in order to keep this blog from becoming a sounding board for sophomoric attitudes. Keep the tone professional and we can keep the dialog going for all to benefit and learn from.

As for “safe room” details, what I said is I’d rather give the topic its rightful attention with its own post. If you think, “how detailed does it actually have to be”, well, we just interviewed Massad Ayoob on this specific topic for over an hour. That’s about 45 pages of notes… more than I want to put into a blog post comment area, right? I’m working on a “cheat sheet” that will be more reliable than a few items to throw in, so please be patient… and professional.

Thank you all for your cooperation and input.

34. Sheila Marcia Deurlo says:

i believe a home invasion was planned against my home. and right at this time cars and cars full of people have surrounded my residence. But because no one has actually done the crime, the police want this crime to happen in order to bust them for doing a serious crime. So i sit here in hopes that the do not do this to me and my father!..because we knew what to do to use our brains to prevent them from coming in. They have not entered our house yet but i know they are out there i can here them and my heart is starting to speed up. I can even smell them surrounding my house.….

35. Cathy says:

Believe me I know what you are talking about my daughter was sleeping at her father’s house when my son’s best friend 13 years old decided to come to her room and bother her. Luckily she got up and told him to get out. She later told her dad and my son’s best friend never was allowed over to the house again. I was angry because I would have been up while the sleep over was going on. I have always been keen on these things and never like to take things for granted.

36. scott says:

I have seen this done in real life so i know it works. Never underestimate have a few roach and flea aerosal canisters in your retreat room. A home invader broke into a friends home and the only thing she had was flea bombs in the bathroom where her and the kids came to hide, She popped two of them and tossed them into her bedroom, the invaders made no attempt to even cross the fog to get to them. this was years before the burglar blaster was invented. and a whole lot cheaper

37. guest says:

I was recently asked which way do I go in to work. My response was that there isn’t just one way

38. Ian says:

Sorry. It posted my comment on the wrong post.

39. tim says:

I have and will do it again. Have you ever taken a life? You mess with my family or my brothers in arms bet your *** your gonna be in a body bag.…..

40. Jeff Anderson says:

Thank you all for your cooperation and input.