#1 Concealed Carry Weapons Mistake

Even concealed carry firearms experts get this wrong…

You see, when most people think of “concealed carry” of their handgun, they see it as a “street defense” tactic.

You strap your firearm on before heading out the door.

You unstrap it when coming back home.

Often times that handgun goes into a drawer near the front door for easy access when answering the door.

And You’re Wide Open For A
Home Invasion Attack!

Here’s Why…

As I reveal in our manual on how to survive a home invasion, it’s easy to get caught off guard.

An intruder (or intruders!) almost always have the advantage of the element of surprise.

When they approach your house, they already know their plan of attack.

As they storm into your house, you still have to recognize the attack and spring into action.

Most of the time, this is an impossible, super-​​human feat.

When you’re in your kitchen and your handgun is in a drawer near the front door, it does you no good.

When you’re taking a shower and your firearm is next to your bed, it does you no good.

Even when you answer the door and your firearm is 3 feet away in that drawer… it does you no good when you’re thrown back 15 feet as your home invaders push past you in an explosion of fury!

Bottom line is this…

If you’re going to carry…carry!

You never know when an attack is going to come and the only way for your firearm to do its job is for you to be able to access it at any given moment.

So when you get out of bed, that’s a good time to strap your trusty firearm to your tighty-​​whities.

Sitting down watching reruns of The Simpsons? use a holster that won’t impede your reach for that bag of chips.

Have an after-​​shower bathrobe with a pocket? Use it to hide your favorite scumbag removal tool!

You may consider this “paranoid”.

But the way I feel, for concealed carry citizens, your firearm becomes an extension of your total safety program for protecting yourself and those you love.

Being prepared shouldn’t have gaps.

You should be prepared all the time: mentally…physically…tactically.

1. nam_vet6869 says:

Until my Granddaughter came to live with me I had a pistol in every room and I carried one on me every waking moment. Great advice Jeff, and keep them coming. Reiterating the rules for deadly force and the Castle Doctrine might be a good ideas too.

God Bless America

2. Kevin says:

The castle doctrine refers to a law which in many states requires those defending themselves to “flee to the utmost” before using equal or lesser force against their attacker to defend themselves. This meaning, if someone were to assault me, i would have to run away until i could run no further, my back would literally have to be up against the wall until i could assault my aggressor in the name of self defense. Where the castle doctrine changes things is that if you were to be assaulted in your home, by someone who does not reside there, then you have no obligation to flee. You are permitted to use equal or lesser force in the name of self defense.

3. Steve Roberts says:

Nice! :0)

4. James says:

Amen & Amen! Where ever I go in my home my pistola goes with me if not thee is always something I have hidden in order to do the job. I am very capable & highly trained in H2H, yet that will not always save you. my fave non-​​firearm defense tool is a heavy duty stainless still charcoal grill spatula I keep out in my kitchen; serrated edge n all! Will cleave a decent arm or hand off & a nice can of mpotpouri on hand to blind n disorient as well lol. Anything around you that can be manipulated or picked up that can harm, disoqient, or distract is a viable self-​​defense tool.

Yet nothing replaces a good firearm when it comes down to protection & the training & knowledge of how to use it properly & effectively.

5. Steve Roberts says:

A weapon always within reach when not attached to the body is my standard. All weapons are set to rock and roll otherwise you might as well have a rock. Switch and ease magazine springs on a normal weekly schedule. At least one day a month at the range. I would like to hear more about the Castle Doctrine as well. Thanks for reminding people on how quickly a situation can develop. “Be Prepared” is a way of life since a boy scout which is not paranoia.

6. Norman says:

These are excellent suggestions. More than one gun is needed. personally I have one in each room. Can never be to careful.

7. James says:

8. Glockster20 says:

He is right in a lot of areas this is for sure. I have lived places where I will admit I packed in the shower and in the house. Mowing the grass because the neighborhood I was in was near a lot of crack houses. When I moved to another state (Idaho) my neighbors thought I was strange because I carried all the time and in the house. They could not understand that where I lived was a bad place. But a firearm is not effetive if you do not train for the fight. I remember when I was a kid my dad had targets in the house and he would practice quick draw. I even have an ASP near the front door.

9. SouthernRunner says:

Jeff,

How do you balance anti-​​invasion tips like this blog post, and gun safety in a home that has young children?

• Glockster20 says:

I had kids who are now 14 and 15, I have always had guns in the open with them around. I let them become familure with them at an early age by teaching them that they are not toys. I did this in part by letting them handle them unloaded of course and again teaching that if handles improperly they can be very dangerous instruments. That is how my dad taught my brother and I when we were small. He let us handle them and we never played with them. I will admit I and my dad did keep weapons up so the neighbor kids would not have access but my dad did. Basically took the curiosity out of them. I did keep them up where they did not have easy access but I did.

10. SouthernRunner says:

Jeff,

11. skypilot1911 says:

Jeff. While I agree that intensive and repetitive training is always the goal, most of us do not live in that world. The average spouse/​parent/​homeowner can neither commit to nor afford the training you suggest. With a handgun in every room, as well as an accessable .12 guage pump, I believe the two most important factors are familiarity and determination. As a 30-​​year veteran and CCW holder, I take my wife to the range monthly to shoot paper. As well, scenario-​​based discussions are the norm, with the intent to instill in her the mindset to never hesitate to aim, squeeze, and reload.

12. skypilot1911 says:

Uh, sorry, was actually commenting on the “3 Myths” post.

I agree with your post here. And with proper preparation, there is no paranoia!

13. Mgunns says:

I like the pelvic girdle shot, being the sadistic guy that I am. I shoot em and bury them out in the back 20. Kill’m all, no witnesses. If they wana play in the Gunns yard that’s where they will stay. I didn’t fight two wars to have someone try to take away what I fought for.
    Semper Fi

14. Ken Rector says:

Great Message!!!! I carry mine when I am even mowing the yard. taking out the trash, and have it at hands reach when I rest…Welcome to the Hood Yalllllllllllllllllllllll

15. John says:

this is a joke right? it sounds like a sarcastic leftist article.

16. Ken Rector says:

17. Deaner says:

9mm? 40mm?, 45ACP, in the house? That’s just stupid. Why not an carry an AK? or a sawed off shotgun! Single projectile can go through the wall an into your loved one or neighbor. Yeah your first round is going to miss. I don’t care how good you thing you are. You’re going to pop off 3 or 4. If you get to draw. Door slams open and you’re knocked to the floor..ok if the home invadors are this brazin then most likely they will have weapons already drawn and ready to fire. You are going to reach for your side arm in a drawer? at your side?
    Best defence is to keep the SOB’s outside. Deadbolt the door, install an alarm system, motion detectors with light, get a DOG!
    If you are living in that remote or nasty a neighborhood, dude, you need to move. Oh, by the way. I’m not some squimish tree hugging leftwing nut job. I eat red meat, I carry and I will never be a victim. If I draw, I fire. If something is worth shooting, it’s worth shooting twice!

18. Junior says:

I agree one should be as safe in your own home as possible, but for most average folks, multiple handguns might be a bit pricey. Placement of the one (s) you have is key, practice, resolve, and careful thinking regarding your home & it’s weak points will keep you safer. If you always carry, as I do, check and clean your weapon often, as I found this summer, even stainless will rust!

19. James says:

@ Um yeah Deaner that’s why you kin’ve plan ahead for possible angles of entry & attack to minimize such possibilities as much as humanly possible… You create a plan with your family & practice drills with them so it becomes second nature & yes things could still go wrong… but you let me know how things go if by chance it’s not just a thief but a serial kiler that’s smart enough to bypass your security system & motion sensors & poison or kill ur poodle & if that’s not the case tell me how that all still works out for you when a group of masked & armed thugs busts in your door that have planned their attack for sometime unknown to you because you lived in the fluffy fantasy world that your “impenetratable” security system & the 30 minute late cops do for you. And I’m quite certain that you can throw your pup @ the perps over 2100 fps too right? LMFWAO

20. Dan Oblak says:

Not just your weapon. Car/​house keys (ever make the trip down the driveway to the mailbox and realize you’ve left the house unlocked and occupied only by your kids?), and cell phone should be on you every waking moment. Anything that you can imagine kicking yourself for leaving just out of reach in a crisis… think duty belt for heads-​​of-​​households. I’m a civilian with only civilian responsibilities; but not in my house.

21. arlita says:

I know how important it is to carry your weapon at all times. I sleep & eat with mine. One evening I was alone taking a shower. When I heard a noise & saw a shadow thru th showercurtian. I realized from the size that it wasn’t my husband. I told the person to leave, but he didn’t move I repeated myself adding I had a gun. As he pulled th showercurtian back I pulled the trigger. The cops said that this man had several prior arrest for B&A’s & rape. Was glad I had my gun with me.

22. Phil says:

Its good to know the basics of the Castle doctrine. But, be careful because the law differs from state to state. Do your research so you dont end up going to jail for keeping you and your family safe.

23. James Rice says:

Yes, double tap them, BUT, for those that do not want to take a life, here is another way. First, you must be able to point and shoot for you most likly not have time to aim!!! Now, where to shootyou wonder? The double tapper is correct about the groin. All you have to do is point just high of the groin. If you are using a good enough weapon and I would say a 40 or better, what is going to happen when you pull that trigger? Your round should strike in the pelvic area. If accurate enough, you will split the pelvic in half. Now what is going to happen, the intruder will go down and cannot get back on their feet. They cannot stand because the pelvic supports the body weight. , the pelvic is split into two peices (or more). They cant stand, they cannot chase you, and they will be in too much pain to attack from the ground. They will most likly drop their weapon when the fall and will have a hard time retrieving it.

24. Steve Roberts says:

Nice! :0)

25. Kevin says:

26. Hans Limdy says:

Whats the CASTLE DOCTRINE Sir?

27. Hans Limdy says:

Oops! No need to answer,I just read it below.