Real Street Fight Tactic: Forward Drive

Knowing how to win a real street fight is sometimes a matter of overcoming the most common mistakes people make when defending themselves.

Let’s begin by looking at one of the mistakes.

In many of the street fights that have been captured on tape, two people are standing toe-​​to-​​toe, trading blows furiously.

Both of them are trying to win the fight by being lucky enough to land the first really good punch.

This technique isn’t a winning self defense strategy — it just tires you out while you’re trying to land punches.

And it gets even worse…

Once your opponent lands a good punch, your natural reaction is to cover up.

This gives your attacker the opportunity to pound on you while you’re trying to protect yourself.

Here’s how to maintain the offensive and survive the fight…

Critical Street Fight Tactic
To Win Any Fight

Winning a street fight requires you to switch gears on your survival mind set — from self defense to self “offense”.

In other words, instead of thinking about defending against your attacker, think about bringing the fight TO him.

One of the ways you do this is with generating “forward drive” momentum.

Move forward with your body to get your opponent off balance and cause him to think defensively.

He’ll react to your attack instead of attacking you.

Displacing your opponent will take away his structure and his ability to counterattack.

There’s also a good chance he will stumble backward or even fall, which will let you press your advantage with some other self defense moves.

Here’s how it’s done…

How To Create “Forward Drive“
In A Real Street Fight

Looking at it as positioning your body to replace that of your opponent when you throw a punch is the easiest way to learn how to take the offensive and create forward drive during a street fight.

As you step in to throw a punch, move your entire body forward, ensuring that your feet are positioned far enough forward to be at or beyond your attacker’s center of gravity.

Palm heels, elbow strikes and forearm strikes are the best self defense moves for this type of close quarters combat.

Step in and strike while you’re covering your body.

Hit at the same time you move your body into your attacker’s position.

When In A Real Street Fight,
Only Stop When Your Attacker Stops

When you’re in a self defense situation, it’s critical that you not let up until your opponent stops being a threat.

This is why you want to keep moving forward, driving through, and pressing your advantage with additional strikes when you’re stepping in with the forward drive.

You’ll be able to completely take away your opponent’s structure and ability to counterattack if you stay balanced and mobile.

You’ll need to master this key concept of self defense in order to win a real street fight.

1. AB says:

Has this “technique” been tested in actual fights? Looks like untested shopping-​​mall karate school BS.

2. John says:

@AB Its common sense by closing the distance you create less space for the bad guy to attack you with. You also make him react to your movements so while he is reacting its less likely he will be attacking. Most street fights the fighters arent Hardend MMA fighters or have any real fighting skills so any ********* technique will add to someones advantage. Sure if im fighting Anderson Silva this would be worthless but agains some Punk on the street its pretty likely this will help

3. CK says:

Haven’t beenin a lot of street fights but each one I’ve been in was different. Worst was surrounded by four Mexicans in Tijuana and one sat on my car seat while the other three surrounded me.
    One guy was selling these long swords/​knives that protruded from turn ogf the( 1900’s0 century at the end of a rifle for calvary use. I bartered down to nine dollars, let th money drop and the wind take it. The guy jumped out of the car looking for the money, I jumped in the car, slashed once with the sword( i still own it/​Mexican police were laughing and wavng at the time) got in my car, revved up sqeeled to the closest of the four swinging the weaponm i just bought and booked it to the border.
    No way I could have moved in surrounded by four men and one in the drivers seat. I still thinkof that day, what I could have done better but tossing the money in the wind was my only chance and it worked.
    man y mano? Well yes, move in to beat the person down until he doesn’t get up. This has happened in the Philipines, Indonesia, papua New Guinea, Colombia( in army) and lucky enough to have only minimal scars save for those danged butterfly knives the Filipinos are so adept with..
    I don’t know, this is a good tactic if the fight unfolds in a relative way in the streets but like the streets there is so much wild punch throwing, adrenalin, alcohol, and whatever other drug the person is on I’ve never seen nor been in an organized enough street fight where one can “think” through” fights. Again though, in America this could work.

• Jeff Anderson says:

Great insights CK! Sword-​​fighting in Mexico! LOL Very clever use of just a few dollar bills to get yourself out of a sticky situation. Classic!

4. CK says:

PS Thanks Jeff, i know these are “situationals’ and i am NOT trying to criticize tactics. I think this could work and being the aggressor in a street fight is optimal for one just never knows if there are guys around the corner, the guy has a gun or even just a razor blade or carpet knife. I think the best most effective way( agree with you) is to finish the fight as fast and as deliberate as possible giving no quarter, then getting the **** out of there. Street fighting is dangerous as all get out. Take care and merry Christmas.

5. Booker T says:

IF you put urself into HIS center of gravity, aren’t you puttinhg urself in his “wheelhouse” and your open to a good right hand? I try to circle left, let him punch, then counter. In a street brawl to me, you are fighting for ur LIFE. Use ur head, hands, forearms knees and finally ur feet. Don’t let ur opponent get up if he’s down. Kicking s/​one in the face is brutal but neccessary. Cheers..

6. Fyvie says:

Only concern is that you are not stepping off the line, which opens up attacks like kicks to the groin etc.

Attack is the best form of self-​​defense.

Nice work.

7. Fyvie says:

If I may add, alot of your tactics, and that of Jeff, is also principles of Aikido. Closing the gap, taking the attackers space, striking the face to get a reaction, using the ground as a weapon. Just an interesting observation. The problem with the way martial arts is applied, in my opinion, is that students do not get encouraged to test it on the streets. I do not believe that dojo training can ever prepare you for a real fight.

• I’ve never taken Aikido but I can definitely see your comparison Fyvie. And while it’s true that martial arts training typically doesn’t do a good enough job in preparing students for the realities of a street fight, at the very least, it’s putting students into a situation where they’re working with another person. This will still help with body placement in relation to your attacker… movement… attack distances… and striking at a moving target.

The problem comes in where martial arts programs the students for the wrong response to a real attack. Poor application can become ingrained into the mind and muscle-​​memory of the student and when what worked in the dojo is tried in the street, it often fails. Not all the time…but there’s definitely a case for practicality of today’s fighting systems.

Thanks for your input!

• puresalt says:

Book of five rings by Miyamoto Musashi did help me understand what I was doing and helped me focus on my tactics. Its a quick read, but it is the true understanding of it will help you the most. So multi reads over a time period. But he really exploted the timing/​surprising of his advisaries. I realized that is what I was doing was preying upon their first move and actually being the first one to land a strike or hold. I have never done any Aikido, did alot of cross service training in College that helped and playing rugby for ten + years helped because I am not really scared of getting hit by anything. But again grabing hold of their momentum or aka energy and redirecting it is a very awesome thing to do. Stepping into the person and closing that gap is unnerving to some. So that is why you need to train for it in a controled environment to help build some sort of reflex. Also preplaning multi situations in you mind before something goes down will help out. That is mental training you will have to do on your own. When it comes down to the “right here right now” my mind goes blank, its a beautiful thing, I just react… The whole time I am calm and collected, that unnerves people too. The only other thing I would like to say in a mass chaos type of a fight you have to make an example out of a person and the next and the next so forth until the crowd reals back in horror. I call it the herd effect. Its the only way to bring sanity back to the situation. If that is to grafic I understand but that is what worked on the ground.
      Peace through Strength
      Puresalt

8. Great input based upon real world experience! Thanks for adding to the conversation puresalt!

9. Sifu Kajukenbo says:

Make pain your friend.
    I am gonna save your post
    I tell my people these things daily it will be nice to share that someone else has put it to the test.

10. max says:

Video is removed — it ‘violated their community standards’ IE the MSM doesn’t approve of self-​​defense.

Can u find a non-​​MSM site to upload it — we might still have some freedom left for a while to communicate.

thanks