Although it is still technically summer, fall is unofficially here since it is back to school and back to work time. Vacation mode is off, real life is back on! Hopefully, many of you spent a lot of your time this summer outdoors doing things like walking, hiking, biking, swimming, and grilling fabulously healthy foods. Although we start the summer with the best of intentions, sometimes our healthy habits slip away when we start partaking in weddings, parties, BBQ’s, and travels.
Here are some tips to get you back on the road to health and fitness:
- Breakfast: Eat breakfast daily (aim for within one hour of waking up) and have 1–2 “go-to” breakfasts that are healthy and you can eat all of the time. Some quick and healthy ideas are: plain 0% Greek yogurt or low-fat cottage cheese and fruit, 2 slices of whole wheat toast with peanut butter, or 1 egg+2 whites with whole wheat toast or fruit.
- Eat at home: Eating out often usually means large portions and hundreds of hidden calories – even if you are trying your best to order wisely. Limit eating out to 1–2 times a week or for special occasions, and enjoy your time at home! Use this as an opportunity to try out some new healthy recipes.
- Schedule your workouts: If you have slipped a bit, it’s time to get back in the game with exercise! Every Sunday, look at the week ahead and literally schedule exercise appointments for yourself, just like you would a haircut or doctor’s appointment. And don’t let yourself out of it.
- Find a partner or program: Support is key to start and/or maintain a healthy lifestyle. Find someone (a friend, significant other, trainer) who is a positive influence and will enjoy exercising and eating healthy meals with you. Alternately, or in addition, find a program to join to facilitate these efforts – such as taking classes at a gym or attending weekly Weight Watchers meetings. Maybe start an exercise or weight loss challenge amongst your friends??
- Try something new: Whether it’s a form of exercise you never tried (maybe a spin, yoga, or TRX class) or adding a new vegetable to your dinner plate – mix it up for the fall instead of reverting back to the same old routine.
- Drink water: Get rid of all of the soda (diet or not), lemonades, and sugary beverages – especially alcoholic ones like daiquiris and margaritas! Keep it clean by drinking water, unsweetened iced tea, or naturally flavored beverages (like Hint water or flavoring your own water with lemon, lime, orange, or cucumber slices). And drink lots of it!
- Log: If you’re really looking to shed some added pounds– log, log, log!!! Use FREE sites/apps like www.loseit.com and www.sparkpeople.com to enter all of your intake and activity and watch the pounds melt away!
Follow these simple tips and you’ll be feeling fab and fit in no time!