M-​​100s — Insane 3 Minute Home Cardio Workout

Effective Bodyweight ExercisesThere is one key component to reaching your fitness goals, regardless of your current fitness levels. Consistency.

That may sound oversimplified but that doesn’t make it any less truthful. However, most people have lives that make this one component very difficult to obtain.

If you’re serious about your fitness goals, if you’d like to transform your body from the state it is in now to that of a modern day Spartan on the inside and out than what I’m about to share with you can help you achieve your goals.

Have you ever heard of the K.I.S.S. Rule?

Keep It Simple Spartan!

If you keep your workouts simple and short, than avoiding all of the pitfalls that keep you from training on a daily basis becomes a lot easier.

Bodyweight exercises are perfect for these types of workouts because they don’t require heavy or bulky equipment, you can workout where ever you are, and they can be just as effective as training in the gym.

I recently had the opportunity to talk with Mike Chang, the lead trainer at SixpackShortcuts​.com. I asked Mike if he used bodyweight exercises in their training programs.

This might shock a lot of people, but I built most of the ripped muscles on my body from doing just simple bodyweight exercises. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that lifting weights doesn’t work and I’m definitely not saying that I have great genetics.  But when it comes to building muscle, and burning fat… bodyweight training is an awesome choice.

They are a perfect way to build a natural and balanced looking physique and it eliminates any excuses someone would have for not working out. Reasons such as not having time, no equipment, and no money for a gym membership simply do not apply.”

If you’ve been sitting on the fence this year, wanting to start your journey to meeting your fitness goals but you’re not sure how to get started or you’re running into some of the issues we mentioned, here is a short, intense and effective workout Mike recommends for his clients.

If you want to build some serious muscle and burn off that stubborn belly fat,  check out my M-​​100s bodyweight exercise routine that I personally used to help me build ripped muscle and get the six pack abs I’ve always wanted.”

The M-​​100s workout involves three advanced bodyweight exercises repeated in an effort to reach 100 reps.

Here’s the exercise:

M100 Step 1

1. Burpees: Burpees are a full body exercise that increases strength, lean muscle mass and also burns a ton fat.  This compound movement is a combination of a squat, pushup and a jump squat. Its a perfect exercise to to build endurance and a balanced physique. Some of the muscles worked during a burpee include traps, lower back, chest, shoulders, arms, legs and six pack abs.

M100 Step 2

2. Mountain Climbers: This exercise works the entire body and builds strength in the arms, shoulders, core and legs. It a very high intensity movement that really helps with building up your cardiovascular endurance and also awesome for burning belly fat.  But the what mountain climbers are best know for is its effectiveness on sculpting six pack abs. With every lunge forward and lunge back, your abs are worked constantly throughout the entire exercise.

M100 Step 3

3. Double pump squat jump: This is an very advance form of the regular squat.  Not only did we add in the jump, we also doubled up the squat movement. Your quads and hamstrings are your biggest muscles on the body and they also burn the most calories.  By adding these additional movements, the double pump squat jump requires you to burn as much fat calories as possible with every rep.

I’d like to challenge you to start doing the M-​​100s bodyweight workout routine for one month.

The Plan:  4 workouts per week and repeat until you reach 20 minutes each session.

This workout has helped many Mikes clients jump start their own fitness revolution and in addition to getting in great shape they also get the added benefit of getting the physique they always dreamed of.  If you’re consistent and keep the workouts simple I’m confident you’ll see the results you’re looking for.  I’m sure in a month you’ll see dramatic changes in your fitness level, and soon you’ll have the ripped athletic body you’ve always wanted.

If you want 3 more great bodyweight training routines that’ll get you ripped and muscular FAST, be sure to check out more videos with Mike Chang. This new video he just posted teaches you how to strengthen your core and get six pack abs at the same time.

1. **I received an email from a reader named Kevin asking a great question that I didn\‘t cover so I\‘ll share his question and answer it for everyone here. If you have any questions or comments please post them here.**

\“Dr. Alexander,

Great article on the M-​​100 workout, however you left out how many reps/​exercise in the workout (you did list the time) and if you do them in a circuit, 1 exercise to exhaustion then the next, etc.

If possible, can you send me that or post it?

Thanks,

Kevin\“

Kevin, that\‘s a great question. One of the benefit\‘s of doing tis type of exercise is that it is an easy way to jump start your desire to improve your over all fitness and even your physical appearances if that\‘s one of your goals.

Unfortunately there isn\‘t a right or wrong answer to your question. The key is starting where your current fitness levels are challenged until you reach the goal of 20 minutes per session.

Because the exercises are dynamic in nature and incorporate several muscle groups a good place to start would be 10 reps of each phase. If that doesn\‘t seem challenging enough for you simply increase the number of repetitions or vice versa if the exercise is too difficult.

There is also nothing wrong with varying the number of repetitions you do of each phase of the M100. If one part of it is easier for you than another, there isn\‘t any reason why you can\‘t increase or decrease the number of repetitions of each phase to make the exercise more challenging to you.

Keep in mind, the most important part of this is Keeping It Simple Spartan! The goal is to get started, get moving, keep it simple and then expand upon it.

Thanks for the question Kevin.

Adam.

Rangers Lead The Way!

2. Francisco says:

Does this work?

• Francisco,

Can you get a great cardio workout by doing the circuit of M-100\‘s?

Will it help you burn fat?

It can. Here\‘s why.

The 3 different exercises that have been incorporated into the M-100\‘s utilize large muscle groups from the upper extremities, lower extremities, and core musculature. When you work muscles you increase your metabolism. When you work several groups of large muscles you increase those effects.

Additionally, the dynamic movements involved in the exercises and the transitions are adding to the benefits you\‘ll receive from the cardiovascular workout.

So to answer your question. Yes these will work. However, the effort, duration and frequency you do them as well as your diet will all be factors as well.

I hope this helps.

Adam.

3. Francisco says:

Is being in the sauna bad?

4. Chuck says:

Dr Alexander,
    Excellent article and I seriously plan on instituting this right away. I have been out of loop on my PT and I feel this is a great way to get back in and start getting results right away. I currently have a product that I think that you are associated with, the Pinpoint push up? Can I incorporate the Pinpoint into this routine or is it better to just start off with the body physics?
    Thanks!

• Hi Chuck,

Yes, I am very familiar with the Pinpoint Pushup Fitness Trainer…;-).

The answer to your question really depends on your current fitness level. If you\‘re using the Pinpoint Pushup Fitness Trainer already then you know how much it changes the dynamic of a single pushup and the difficulty.

Personally, I\‘d stick to the M-​​100 routine as it\‘s described without the Pinpoint Pushup Fitness Trainer. The reason is two fold:

1) The Pinpoint Pushup Fitness Trainer is specifically designed to integrate stability and balance training into an upper body workout. By doing so, you\‘re activating more muscle groups and more fibers within those muscles as well as integrating the nervous system to a very high degree. Your focus should be on executing the exercises correctly and safely, not pushing through a repetition to get to the next set of exercises. If you want to add an upper body workout using the Pinpoint Pushup Fitness Trainer every three days or so, I\‘d say that would probably be a better plan.

2) The other reason that I would keep the M-​​100 routine the way it is, compared to adding stability training to it, is that these are designed to work large muscle groups of the upper and lower body as well as incorporate dynamic whole body movements. This is different than stability or balance training. Also keep in mind, you want to be able to work on your endurance as well as you work towards a 20 minute workout. That is going to be very challenging if you integrate the Pinpoint Pushup Fitness Trainer. We\‘ve yet to see anyone who can do more than about 35 repetitions at one time.

Thanks for the question.

Adam.

• Chuck says:

Awesome, Dr Alexander. Thanks for the info! My goal is to get to a level of fitness so that I can incorporate the Pinpoint on a regular basis as I can see the benefits of using it in a tactical environment in regards to muscle memory building, stress endurance and having a stable shooting platform. I am very excited to have the M100 information that will allow me to get to that point.
        Thanks again for the outstanding tips for fitness.

5. Todd says:

I did this work out lastnight for the first time. I had to sub out the double pumps for jumping jacks and step ups do to knee issues, but i did each exercise for 1 min rest one min, then repeated the set 4 times, is this a good start off point or should i do more?

• Todd,

1st off great job!

Secondly, let me tell you something. Do you know what sets the Special Operations community apart?

It isn\‘t that others can\‘t do the job those in the SOCOM community do…it\‘s that they choose not to, for whatever reason.

What you\‘re doing by taking action is more than 99% of people out there.

My advice regarding your workout is this:

1) Evaluate how you felt during the workout.
      2) Evaluate how you feel tomorrow.

Then, decide if you could have pushed your limits anymore. The key brother is pushing your own limits.

When I was on active duty with the Ranger Regiment, the challenge wasn\‘t just getting into the Regiment, it was staying there. It was exceeding the standards on a daily basis in everything you did. You had to push your own limits everyday.

I had a team leader who could run like the wind. I would NEVER be able to run like him and he knew it. But, as the awesome NCO he was, he knew that and he didn\‘t care. What he cared about was that I was pushing my own limits.

I would encourage you to test your limits. Push harder each day. You\‘ll know if yesterday was too easy. If it was, then you know you have to focus on the mental battle within and push harder. If you are extremely sore then I\‘d say you did just fine.

Did you throw up? ;-)

Let me know how you progress and no matter what, keep moving forward.

Adam.

Rangers Lead The Way!

6. Andrew Olemgbe says:

Adam,

you said \“The M-​​​​100s workout involves three advanced bodyweight exercises repeated in an effort to reach 100 reps.\” do you mean 100 reps total or per exercise?

• Andrew,

Thanks for the question and I agree that needs clarification.

The suggestion is that you strive for 100 reps per exercise in the circuit, which should equate to about a 20 minute workout.

The idea is to start small with time and get the most of your time. As your fitness level improves, I\‘m confident that finding or making the time for the extended workout will be easier.

Again, this is a goal designed to help you push your limits.

I hope this helps.

Adam.

7. Jeff Estep says:

Adam ,
    Many of your readers are \“older\” vets that are paying the price for our John Wayne years and a could of these exercises are hell on my old paratrooper knees.
    Can you construct a similar program for those of us that strive to stay fit, but find burpees and squats are difficult?

• Hi Jeff,

Brother i know you\‘re pain! I will work on something and post it in honor of Paratroopers just like you.

In the meantime I can offer a few modifications to the exercises, however, because everyone\‘s limitations are different try and apply the principles of what I\‘m recommending versus staying with the exact movements. You can email me as well if you\‘d like and I\‘ll see if there is something specific I can recommend.

1) Pain free ranges of motion
      — Painful knees are common amongst the Airborne and rightly so, you\‘ve certainly earned it. Wall squats are a great way to smoke your legs and you\‘re working the same large muscle groups of the quadriceps and hamstrings. You can also add an inflatable exercise ball behind you while you do them. It will help you maintain control and as you push backwards against the ball, it will work your core as well. When you execute the motion, bend your knees to the point prior to experiencing pain. The key is to increase the number of repetitions to get the same workout. By not going as deep, you aren\‘t getting the full benefit but it is a safe way to work the same muscle groups with less or no pain.

2) Trade fast, dynamic movements with isometric core strengtheners

— If the jumping of the burpees is bothering your knees then try transitioning from the pushup to holding the plank position. For the \“older vets\” as you mentioned, strengthen core and joint stability are going to help you in the long run. It\‘s working with your body, or what you have left, compared to working against it. Try holding the plank position, with proper form, on your toes and elbows for time. If your core isn\‘t shaking at the end, you\‘re stopping too soon.

3) Post workout care — The younger we are the fast we recover and the fewer limitations we have. The longer and harder we work/​abuse our bodies, the more difficult physical training becomes and the needed recovery period between workouts may increase. The nutrients your body needs will be more important as well. With every workout you are stressing soft tissue. Even mild stress on muscles, ligaments and tendons can result in an inflammatory process being initiated. Anticipate this and take action to minimize the effects of this by drinking water following a workout and applying ice packs to chronically troubled areas, like knees. 15–20 minutes of ice, not applied directly to the skin, could do wonders for you. Consider the ice packs part of your gear and a badge of honor.

I hope this helps.

Adam.
      RLTW!

8. Zak Willard says:

Doctor Alexander,
    I just wanted to say thank you for this great exercise routine. Right now I\‘m getting myself into the best possible shape to have a chance at making it in the Special Operations Community. Right now I\‘m at the 13 minute mark and continue to improve daily. Are there any other exercises that you would recommend using only an individuals body weight?

9. Hi Zak,

First of all you\‘re welcome! Great job on being disciplined and motivated. Without those two attributes you might as well forget about being part of the special operations community. It just won\‘t work.

I have two recommendations for you:

1) This set of exercises came directly from Mike Chang. He is the lead trainer at SixpackShortcuts. Even if you\‘re not looking for Sixpack abs, the take away point here is that Sixpack Shortcuts is a system. As you can see he has put together some pretty good stuff and has an entire YouTube channel packed full of training videos if you\‘d like to change up your training routine.

2) Bodyweight training exercises are great functional tactical training. One of the reasons I say this is because it\‘s important to train as you\‘re going to fight. For you, your initial \“fight\” is just making the cut. Including weight training is fine, but when you\‘re getting smoked by a Ranger/​Special Forces/​SEAL/​PJ or Force Recon Selection NCO they aren\‘t going to be watching you bench press, they\‘ll be watching you push in the mud, struggle with each pushup, pull-​​up, and run or road march.

With all of these selection processes mindset, endurance and total body conditioning will matter.

Here are my recommendations:

Push-​​ups
    Pull-​​ups
    Sit-​​ups
    Rope Climbs
    Swimming
    Jog/​Sprint Interval Training
    Road Marching

Now, I\‘m going to plug our product for a moment. If you haven\‘t seen The Pinpoint Pushup Fitness Trainer yet go take a look. The Pinpoint Pushup Fitness Trainer is redefining the challenge and benefits of the push-​​up exercise. In fact, one of the communities we specifically designed for is the Tactical Fitness community.

The reason why I don\‘t mind recommending it to you and anyone else, regardless of their fitness level, is because the Pinpoint Pushup Fitness Trainer works differently.

Not only does it significantly increase the challenge of doing pushups but it\‘s designed to activate a part of the nervous system called proprioception as you balance yourself during the exercise. This results in more muscle groups being activated and more muscle fibers being recruited during the exercise.

For a tactical athlete, not only does this provide a more complete upper body and core workout than traditional pushups it also allows you to train the specific muscle groups that stabilize the wrist and shoulder girdle. These two specific joints are essential in maintaining a stable shooting platform whether your firing a pistol or rifle. In my opinion, there isn\‘t a better way to train your upper body for joint stability, endurance and accurate dynamic marksmanship.

For the lower body, try adding balance training as well, like with a BOSU Stability Trainer. Not only are the workouts, like squats or even wall squats more difficult, they are more effective and have been demonstrated to help prevent ankle injuries.

Zak, I hope this helps.

Adam.
    Rangers Lead The Way!

PS — The most pushups we have seen anyone do while using the Pinpoint Pushup Fitness Trainer, without resting on the disc that prevents rolling your wrists, is 35 repetitions!